Sunday, August 08, 2010

A New Adventure

The decision to join the Oblates of the Virgin Mary comes after almost 7 years of discernment, carefully praying, asking what God desires that I do with my life and the many gifts I have been given. I considered pursuing graduate school in the area of Computer Science, and was even accepted to a doctoral program with full tuition paid at the University of Virginia; however, during a visit to Boston in late March, I felt very strongly that I was to pursue entrance to the congregation at this time. After an extensive application process and review, I was accepted August 5, 2010, on the 180th anniversary of the death of the Founder of the Oblates, Venerable Fr. Pio Bruno Lanteri.

The Congregation of the Oblates of the Virgin Mary (OMV: Congregatio Oblatorum Beatae Mariae Virginis in Latin) was founded in 1826 in Pinerolo, in Northern Italy. Their work includes spreading devotion to the Virgin Mary, encouraging the faithful lay and clergy to remain in harmony with the Pope, giving spiritual direction with the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola, and promoting good books.

I will enter the community as a Postulant, without any formal ties to the group, on August 23 of this year. The formation process is at least 7 years long, including the equivalent of Master's degrees in Philosophy and Theology, as well as practical training to carry out the active priestly ministry. The Postulant status lasts 2 years, containing primarily studies in philosophy and church history. The third year of formation is the Novitiate year, during which I will study the particular charisms of the order and learn about OMV history and the desires of the founder. As studies progress, I will profess temporary vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience to the community, and at the end of the formation process, I will renew those vows for life and subsequently be ordained Deacon and Priest. I may be assigned to work at any of the four locations within the Continental United States (Boston, MA; Alton, IL; Denver, CO; Hawaiian Gardens, CA) or the Philippines. The Oblates also have missions in South America and Africa, and work in Italy and throughout Europe.

Love the Immaculata!

No comments: