Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas!

What a year!

Just when I get used to being at home, the hustle and bustle of Christmas festivities kicks in! I've been told, however, that I wouldn't have it any other way.

Please head over to my main website for my Christmas greetings for this year.

This semester was challenging in new ways. Beginning a new year with new formation staff in the seminary, with new postulants (congratulations to them on a semester well-done!), and several transfers among the professed community, it has felt like starting over in so many ways. But it remains a fact that I began this year with one year of formation already under my belt. I sought to live this semester in the moment, aware of what may lie ahead and conscious of my past, yet not sacrificing the here-and-now for either of those realities. And I had a blast! It was great getting to know Rafael, Matt, Josh, and Scott, learning about their vocational journeys and growing in our relationships with the Lord and with each other. I think we all share the sentiment that it feels like we've been together much longer!

This semester, I completed the History of Philosophy sequence (Modern and Contemporary topped off Ancient and Medieval, which I had last year) and I am now in the final stretch of the Systematic Philosophy course, having just completed Logic & Epistemology, following upon last year's Metaphysics and Ethics (with Philosophy of Nature and some Philosophical Psychology). Next semester will be quite enjoyable academically as I complete my year of New Testament Greek, cruise through Philosophical Psychology, study Inculturation in Asia, and explore Vatican II documents and Old Testament scripture.

We balance the studies with solid prayer and enriching community time. We have certainly done many more varied things than I had experienced last year, from card games to Band of Brothers, walks around the Charles River and throwing darts. Our day trips have taken us out to Mount Wachusett and New Bedford, and our Thanksgiving weekend adventure in Montreal was a beautiful and rejuvenating one.

So at this point, looking back with gratitude and looking forward with a hopeful excitement, let us celebrate Christmas! As Pope Benedict XVI invited us to pray in his "Urbi et Orbi" message for Christmas this year, let us join in calling out, "[Domine,] veni ad salvandum nos" – "[Lord,] come to save us!"

Love the Immaculata!
Mariam cogita, Mariam invoca

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I came across this blog by accident, and I ended up spending a couple of hours reading your life's journey as a seminarian. All the very best in your students and priestly formation. Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!