Sunday, September 12, 2010

Happy feast!

Today, Sunday, September 12, 2010, marks the 184th commemoration of the Titular Feast of the Congregation of the Oblates of the Virgin Mary. It is celebrated as a Proper Solemnity by the Congregation.

At Morning Prayer, Br. John and Br. Tom renewed their temporary vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience in the spirit of Fr. Lanteri, a solemn and joyous occasion for the entire congregation.

My first (almost full) week of classes is now over, and what a week it was! I enjoyed all of my classes; they are all challenging and intriguing, with much reading. I thought to myself, as I was reading the life of St. Dominic during a Holy Hour toward the end of the week, that I was still reading, and it had nothing to do with a class! The previous night, I had read over 100 pages of Homer's Odyssey, along with John Paul II on the Catechism and the Prologue to the Catechism, itself. And that is not to mention the Thomas Aquinas and Aristotle that we have been working through in Metaphysics. Anyway, the study of philosophy (literally, the love of wisdom, in Greek) is fascinating and empowering - it is this subject that awakens the mind more than in any other discipline and requires both systematic, analytic consideration of the subject matter and an intuitive, experience-based progression through it.

This coming week, we will attend the ceremony of ordination and installation for two new bishops for the Archdiocese of Boston - it should be good!

Love the Immaculata!
Mariam cogita, Mariam invoca

No comments: